Thursday, September 18, 2008

An Interesting Day

This morning started like most days. The alarm went off, which consisted of ocean waves that get louder and louder. I laid there for 5 minutes and finally got up, hopped in the shower, then decided it was a "my hair is going to dry on the way to work day." All the kids at school were great as usual, and some of them made me laugh. Little "Johnny" made the r sound for the second session. Yeah! That is what I work for. It is for those moments, that I work so hard.

I ran around today getting papers signed, calls made, and adjusting schedules between therapy sessions. Sometimes I feel like a chicken without its head, with a productive, yet barely staying above water feeling that most of us feel at one point or another. However, most days are WONDERFUL and I love what I do.

The end of the day consisted of testing a cute second grade girl coming from a less fortunate and dysfunctional background. She tested well, and I think she might be ready to be released. We'll see though, because the testing isn't finished.

Then I grabbed the folders and papers I needed for a routine meeting I often am involved in about 70 times per year, maybe more! It involves the principal, regular classroom teacher, parent (s), sometimes the student, and all of the service providers...which in this case was just me. I always get a tad bit nervous for these meetings, knowing first impressions mean a lot, and also keeping the meeting short enough to keep the others happy, but also thoroughly cover the legal material needed and the discussion of the child's progress, goals, other concerns, etc. The meeting did go well, and my principal said, "I love the way your IEP meetings have been going, and I've seen a lot this year." WOW! That was a good feeling. Despite the awesome comment, by this time of the day, most of us are tired, and just want to go home.....

So I left the building with my bags, and what did I see? A young man by my car with........................................























TWO DOZEN PINK AND WHITE ROSES!!!!




Needless to say, this was a huge surprise, very flattering, and happy.!!!!!!! This was soooooooo thoughtful and kind to think of me, when so much goes on in our lives. SMART BOY. Flowers are a love of mine. Note of importance: this is NOT the actual picture of the TWO DOZEN PINK AND WHITE ROSES. Unfortunately the camera is missing:( This picture is from google images. But you get the idea. Although I am not ready to disclose the giver of the TWO DOZEN PINK AND WHITE ROSES (and yes I am still single--my commitment phobia will take a while to get over), I wanted to share the happy surprise!

5 comments:

Meghan said...

That was the best post I have read, EVER! The first part made me miss my job more than ever before. I love that you love your work. As I read the post, and every detail, I wanted to be you so bad. Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom to my two adorable little girls. But, you had such a way of describing exactly what I miss about being an SLP. And then, to end it with the flowers, WOW! I'm dying to know who this amazing individual is. You are one lucky gal! Wahoo!

Annalisa said...

Meghan,

I'm glad you enjoyed the post! I definitely miss working with you, and our conversations to and from work. I remember you being so excited for Lauren to come and you said, "I just want to see her face and meet my little girl..." I remember talking about all your feelings about pregnancy and even when you were thinking about her name. Then of course we'd also discuss the events of my life as well. Good memories. I'd love to get together with you. Are you going to the BYU game this Saturday?

Kelsey said...

Wahoo! I like him already!

Kindt Family said...

How cool! Smart boy, for sure! How long until we can find out who the mystery man is?? I still remember vividly the first time Joe sent me flowers (he was across the country, so he didn't stand by my car or anything). I still had the beautiful vase they came in up until about a year ago, when Sawyer broke it accidentally- I CRIED!!

jenni said...

Lisa, great updates! It sounds like you are doing well... I miss you. Glad to hear that the Praxis went well and you are enjoying your job still! Wahoo! Now, who is this boy?