Monday, December 8, 2008

I love my job

Most days at work are pretty routine with having kids come into my room, teaching a sound or language concept, and then various kinds of practice. Some days my phone rings and rings, and there is so much paperwork and mail to deal with on top of therapy. Right now I have EIGHT referrals!!!! I would say each referral can take between 2-5 hours from the complete process of referral to placement. It is a bit unusual to have this many referrals this time of the school year. This will add to the 52 children I work with one, two, or three times each week. Although it is a lot of work, I can say I LOVE working with each of them, even with the tough ones.

Today I have been on cloud nine. Four kids have made RAPID progress in the last month (much faster than usual). For example, a kindergartner started one month ago and is now able to speak in conversation with /k,g,t,d,sh,f,v,p,sp,st,sw,tr,kl,kr,bl,dr,fl,fr/ and maybe some others...those are just the sounds and sound blends I remember him making correctly today while just chatting away) I was just taking data nearly the whole therapy session to see where he was at...and barely had time for therapy! Just 6 weeks ago he would have said ALL of these sounds incorrectly. It is so satisfying to see him sounding better and have his teacher and parents understand him. They are so happy! I love the smiles on their faces, how they want to learn, and the satisfaction felt when they meet their goals. Here is what it all looks like:

Child's Progress= HAPPY TEACHER + HAPPY PARENTS + HAPPY SPEECH THERAPIST + HAPPY CHILD

If it were legal, I would post lots of pictures of the sweet children I work with. But I do not want to get sued:) I value my job more than that.

No comments: