Monday, September 29, 2008

THE PRAXIS EXAM......gulp

Today was a good day. Last summer, on July 26th, I took a big test following the completion of my graduate courses. The official test name was PRAXIS II: Speech-Language Pathology. It tests a variety of areas within the field. I have been waiting and waiting for the results. It is almost OCTOBER!!! So I decided to call my mom and see if she had received anything, because the results were to be sent to the home address. Well, funny story, they actually came a month ago. My mom asked if I wanted her to open up the test results. Hmmmmmm......That poses a dilemma. On one hand, Mom could open the results and I could find out immediately and be deliriously happy. On the other hand, this could be quite an embarassment. I mean, who wants others to know that you didn't pass a CRITICAL exam. Considering my mother already knows more about me than anyone else (you know, changed hundreds of my diapers, knows all my hopes and fears, etc.), I let her open the letter.

PASS WITH FLYING COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This means after another 7 months of working in the schools while completing my clinical fellowship year, I will be eligible to receive my C.C.C.'s. This stands for Certificate of Clinical Competence, which provides speech-language pathologists the license to work in hospital/health settings, and work in any state in the U.S.!

Graduate school has been a great learning experience, yet challenging as well. It was filled with some small celebrations along the way, waking up at 4:30 AM during the summers to study with my classmates while laying in bed, extremely long days in the same classroom, good friendships, good memories, being mad when we had too much to do, and even some tears. Just over three years ago I had no desire to go to grad school. Life can be pretty interesting how it gives you unexpected twists. I guess this is such a big deal because I've put so much into it. HAPPY DAY! Not every day is this exciting, but it is sure worth blogging about.


Annalisa Kindt, M.Ed., SLP-CFY

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to you!!!! You are truly amazing!

Kindt Family said...

Good work Lisa!!! Poor girl, finding out the results were sitting at your parents' all this time!

Brooke said...

Yeah that you passed the Praxis!! SUch a good feeling isn't it. I echo your thoughts exactly about Grad School. good thing I didn't know what I was getting my myself into. But wow-to look back and see all that we've accomplished! And Ill always have some happy memories of you my good friend!