Thursday, June 12, 2008

Driving Across the Country Solo


Tomorrow will be the last "official" day of classes for graduate school. The students in my program and I got to walk a bit early, which was fabulous. I will miss the girls in my program a lot. I love them and have enjoyed getting to know each of them. We've spent 40 hours each week together during many weeks of the past three summers IN THE SAME CLASSROOM. It has been hard but definitely worth it.

Despite the outrageous gas prices we all are slaves to, tomorrow after class I'm beginning a 24 hour drive solo nearly across the United States. Logan, UT to Oshkosh, WI to be exact! I'm pretty confident in most things, but I'm actually a bit worried about safety, either falling asleep at the wheel or being followed by someone scary. Do you have any advice?

This is my plan on food items to stay awake:

1. Carrots
2. Kudos bars
3. Fruit snacks
3. Banana Bread
4. Dr. Pepper (yes, I know it has caffeine, already feeling a bit guilty...but I'd rather stay awake than fall asleep at the wheel)
5. Lots of water
6. Fun flavors of gum.

I don't think this will be enough to last for the next three days. Or if it is enough, wouldn't you go crazy eating the same food? Giving in to the fast food option may have to happen.

Next topic...it was pretty interesting reading about safety tips when driving long distances alone. Here are several tips that you all might use one day!

1. Carry a cell phone.
2. Have AAA.
3. Drive during daylight hours.
4. Always be very aware of your surroundings and appear confident.
5. Don't try to stand out.
6. When in hotels, stay in larger cities.
7. Ask for a room on the second floor, close to the front desk.
8. Stop when you're tired.
9. Call friends or family to let them know your whereabouts along the trip.
10. Lock your doors.
11. Get your car thoroughly checked before embarking.

Also, it was my mother's birthday the other day. I told her I'm going to write 100 memories of her on this blog. So that will be coming soon. Maybe I'll do some for Dad too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

buy a few books on tape for those boring hours

Are you going to WI "long term" or what are your plans now?

Kindt Family said...

I didn't realize you were driving instead of flying home! Wow, you're very brave. Well, now that you're on your way this is kinda useless (but maybe for your drive back), I've found a few things to be very helpful when I've driven long distances: 1- licorice (it's fat free & takes a long time to chew, so it drags out the time better without filling you up). 2- Lots of changes of loud, upbeat music, particularly all of the ones you love to sing along with very loudly. 3- When you feel yourself getting drowsy, blast yourself with the A/C to stay slightly uncomfortable with the temperature (ever notice how you can't fall asleep at home unless you're warm and cozy?), and/or open all the windows so it's really noisy and windy.

Hope you get there all safe! Love you!

Annalisa and Vance said...

Leslie,

No, it isn't long term, at least for now! I need to be back in UT mid-August to begin teaching school again.

A couple weeks ago Oshkosh was in a "state of disaster" because of flooding. I've been spending most of my time tiling my grandparent's floor who live on a small lake.

What fun plans do you have for the summer?